1 / What is Fair&Precious ?
FAIR & PRECIOUS is a collective brand that relies on certifications and international forest management regulations It steers buyers towards companies in the tropical timber sector that are committed to a sustainable development approach and the preservation of forest resources.
2 / Why Fair&Precious ?
Beyond being a brand, Fair&Precious is also a communication program aimed at providing European consumers with a good image of tropical timber:
- Because consumers and the industry need to more easily identify products from responsible forest management.
- Because we must encourage good practices and develop the surfaces that benefit from responsible forest management.
3 / Where does the initiative come from ?
The Fair&Precious brand is a collective and collaborative brand created by the International Technical Association of Tropical Timber (ATIBT) and forest management members, committed to certification and sustainable management processes in the “tropical timber” sector. ATIBT, founded in 1951, and dedicated to the sector, from the rainforest to the end consumer, is a leading resource in terms of technical considerations and regulations overseeing the commercial uses of tropical timber. Its mission is to promote the development of a sustainable, ethical and legal tropical timber sector, especially among consumers.
4 / Who owns the brand ?
The Fair&Precious collective brand is the property of ATIBT.
5/ Who are the stakeholders ?
Those who carry the brand:
- Forest managers that are certified in sustainable management
The partners of the brand:
- Processors, traders, importers, distributors, buyers/technical advisors, service companies
- States, donors, NGOs, trade unions and associations
- Research centers, universities and schools
- Individuals who adhere to the values of the brand
6/ What are the commitments of Fair&Precious ?
- Manage and protect forests to fight against global warming
- Preserve the forest resource by harvesting less than the natural increase
- Develop knowledge on biodiversity to facilitate the repopulation of species
- Ensure the maintenance of the living space of the fauna
- Implement programs to combat environmental crime on fauna and flora.
- Contribute to the well-being of populations by facilitating access to education, care and housing
- Stimulate the economy of producing countries by enhancing the value of the forest and favoring the local processing of timber
- Establish training programmes in forestry and timber trades
- Provide technical knowledge on the diversity of tropical species and their uses
- Promote the responsible purchase of an exceptional material
7/ Is Fair&Precious an international brand ?
Fair&Precious is an international brand. To date, the countries covered by the brand are those within the European Union. The brand is bound to expand.
8 / What else does the Fair&Precious provide ?
Fair&Precious is also a communication program that supports the work of the certification bodies themselves. Fair&Precious completes their message. Lastly, Fair&Precious is a mechanism that encourages and promotes certification itself, to encourage companies to move towards sustainable certification.
9 / What is responsible forest management ?
Responsible forest management involves managing forest areas to meet the social, economic, ecological and cultural needs of current and future generations. Sustainable forest management involves respecting and preserving biodiversity, soils and water resources. Certificate standards consist of three main chapters (preservation of the resource, respect of the rights of indigenous peoples and the preservation of biodiversity) so that the forest prospers and benefits all members of society, both today and for future generations.